Thursday 10 November 2011

Ministery of War & Ministry of Transport 16t Mineral Wagons

For me it is really important that all my wagons have different numbers on them, as I intend to operate my model railway using the wagon's number to generate the order for deliveries and pick-ups. I knew very little about steel wagons when I first got back in British outline modelling, and I found the The 4mm Wagon series by Geoff Kent, a three volumes series from Wild Swan Publications, to be inspirational.

In particular the article in volume one on these slope sided steel minerals was most helpful, as the prototype photographs were  a good basis for my weathering.

In 1941, during the Second World War, the Ministry of Shipping was merged was merged with the Ministry of Transport, which in turn was renamed Ministry of War Transport. After the war the ministry reverted to its original title. For the railways the ministry ordered steel wagons, and Bachmann make some nice Blue Riband, and some variants I have can be seen below.



All of these are lightly weathered using enamel paints that have been sparingly applied to the surface of the wagon that has been wetted with thinners, which causes the paint to flow and eddy into the recesses.



After the paint has dried I brushed pigment powders over the surface to simulate light rust. For heavier rust I apply thinners again and touch into corners enamel paint using a brush. I then go over and add dirty shades with powder pigments.



After all of this has dried I then use a fibre glass pen to polish off excess paint and pigment.



Finally, I add a coal load that is affixed to foam so that it can be removed.

Next time I will show you  how I converted the  MWT #11532 wagon  using a Mousa Models etched sprung chassis, and even applied a set of Sprat & Winkle coupling to boot. Will the wonders never cease?

No comments:

Post a Comment